Tax practitioners will be alarmed to hear that HMRC have set up a new online tax forum. Their press release says:
A new online tax forum and dedicated webchat service for small businesses and the self-employed has been launched today (1 August 2017) by HMRC.
The Small Business Online Forum is a quick and easy way for small businesses to get answers to their tax questions, as well as help with:
- starting a business
- support for growing a business – including taking on employees and expanding
- buying and selling abroad
- completing tax returns
- tax credits
Click to access the Small Business Online Forum
Linked to the forum, HMRC’s new dedicated webchat service offers direct support to businesses and the self-employed.
Additional information provided includes:
- The Small Business Online Forum forms part of the government’s business tax roadmap announced at Budget 2016.
- A pilot was launched in March 2017 and since then the forum has grown to have more than 1,000 registered users.
- The forum does not deal with questions about taxpayers’ individual circumstances. Any comments which include personal information will be deleted.
- While no personal or case-specific information is posted on the forum, customers may be offered help through HMRC’s webchat service and their personal case handled by an adviser.
- Follow HMRC Press Office on Twitter.
- HMRC’s Flickr channel can be found here
Be interesting to see if this facility is used to confirm a course of action with HMRC without using convoluted clearance procedures.